Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Summer is really here

It got to 102 today, and it's predicted to be 100 or more on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday (106), and I'm sure by tomorrow they'll be predicting it for next Wednesday as well. Of course it's a dry heat, only 10% humidity or less. But it still just saps my energy. All I want to do is lie around.

To cheer myself up these days, I look at the predictions for Death Valley (Furnace Creek). It's going to be 111, 111, 105, 109, 112, 113, and 110. But of course it's a dry heat.

Even though it was 100 or more all afternoon, the babies and I spent some time outside. I just get so bored being in the house all the time. Our walks aren't as fun anymore because it's so hot even at 8am -- I rush down the path and back, feeling guilty because I'm making the babies too hot. Today there was an old man wearing overalls on the path with his dog. He greeted me and said "Nice weather today." I smiled.

Anyway, after the babies' afternoon nap, I let them run around on the back patio, which is big and well shaded. They were wearing onesies, short overalls, and sandals. For their snack, I brought out a bowl of yellow cherries. The babies rushed over to see what it was. It is so mind-blowing to watch their reaction to fruit. Fruit is like candy to them, because they don't know about candy. They've never had chocolate, or maybe just a dab off someone else's spoon. They had cake and ice cream on their birthday, but it was white cake and vanilla ice cream. Other than that, we don't give them sweets yet. So fruit is it, and they adore fruit. If we have a crate of strawberries in the fridge, every time I open the door, they rush in to grab a berry. They love peaches, apricots, bananas, blueberries. It's a pain to give them cherries, because I have to remove the pit, but it's worth it to see their faces. I'm sitting there with the bowl of cherries, and their little hands are all over me, trying to grab a cherry, while I'm frantically digging pits out of cherries and passing them out.

Times like these, I wonder what it would be like to have triplets.
Anyway, there we were on the patio, gorging ourselves on yellow cherries, it's 101 degrees, bright sunshine, the grape vine and the pomegranate vine twining over the patio posts, and the yard was full of baby mockingbirds. I'm pretty sure they were babies, because they seemed smaller than the mockingbirds we usually have, plus they were making a lot of noise and opening their mouths, as if calling to a parent to feed them. It crossed my mind that a possible word to describe the scene was "idyllic."

No comments:

Post a Comment