Monday, June 15, 2009

Monday again

Sometimes on Mondays I'm too depressed to write anything, but this isn't one of those days. I hate Mondays in Ridgecrest, they're so much more depressing than Mondays anywhere else, but I coped today. I was very productive: 4 loads of laundry, meal planning and grocery shopping, balanced the checkbooks and paid bills, even worked (for pay) a little bit. The whole friggin' time I was thinking, "I'd like a cookie." "I'd like some ice cream." "I'd like some of that chocolate chocolate chip pound cake bread that our houseguests brought us." Then I'd do some more laundry. Gad I hate Mondays.

On our walk today we (or rather I) saw TWO Sentry Quail! It was very exciting. One was Original Sentry Quail, with 2 adult females and about 10 mostly grown children. The other was New Sentry Quail, with 1 adult female and about 10 tiny chicks. Pretty soon we will have quail overpopulation issues in our little arroyo. It is a limited space. I wonder what the quail will do when they fill it up. Maybe some would come live in our backyard. Our yard is full of mourning doves, eating something off the ground -- seeds? insects? I expect there's room for a quail family.

I keep thinking about putting out some food for the birds in our yard, not that they seem to be lacking for things to eat. I did buy a bag of seed. But if I put the seed out, rodents will come, and then snakes will come, and then two babies will be bitten by a Mojave Green Rattlesnake and then I will be hauled away by Social Services for endangering them. Thus the bird seed stays in its bag.

It's almost 10pm and that means I can go to bed and read my new novel ("One Good Turn" by Kate Atkinson, due back at the library on Thursday, so must get started). And then Monday will be over and I will have survived.

No comments:

Post a Comment