Thursday, June 18, 2009

A new kind of spider!

New to us, that is. I'm sure they've been around for eons. They're called sun spiders and they are found in deserts all over the world. (Look them up on Wikipedia!) They are not a true spider, but rather another kind of arachnid, like scorpions. They LOOK like scorpions (kind of). They are large and orangey and last night we saw one go running across the back patio (another reason never to go outside after dark). But that wasn't the first time we'd seen one. Rocket Boy found one involved in a black widow spider's web, but it appeared that the sun spider had actually killed the black widow (a battle I am glad I did not witness). There were black widow spider parts lying around. Anyway.

I mustn't think about this too much or I won't be able to go to sleep.

Today was library day, Thursday, but we didn't make it there until mid-afternoon. The boos are so interested in the library now, that I really can hardly spend a moment looking for books for myself. They just yell the whole time, because they want to go to the children's section. It's OK. I'm very pleased that they like the library. I do too. To make future trips easier, I have requested 3 more books, so they will be winging their way toward me soon (and then I don't have to hunt for them in the stacks, they're just waiting for me at the desk when I check out). I realized when I requested the books that it is actually all libraries in the San Joaquin Valley that are linked together -- not just Kern County. It includes Fresno County, Tulare County, and maybe more. A whole lot of tiny little libraries all working together. Honestly, it doesn't matter where you live, libraries are just wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment