Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Way too much weekend

Well, we survived the weekend, barely. Some weekends are so quiet, so dull. And then there was last weekend. After our jaunt on Friday there was the Wildflower Festival on Saturday and Sunday, the twins and Rocket Boy attended a 3rd birthday party Sunday afternoon, and I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy on Monday. A seemingly endless weekend.

I was so happy today. It was all over.

The Wildflower Festival was interesting. I'm waiting to hear from people in the know as to whether it was really successful or not. Apparently there were TOUR BUSES going from site to site (the Festival took place at five spots around town). Who on earth would take a tour bus to Ridgecrest? And from where? The mind boggles.

Recently I read a mystery called The Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connolly (I found it at Rite-Aid, OK?), and early on, the main character talks about how it feels to drive from LA to the beautiful Mojave Desert -- except he's talking about LANCASTER. It takes us an hour and a half to drive to Lancaster, and from there it's another hour to LA. Sigh.

Anyway, the Wildflower Festival. We only made it to two of the five venues, but that's because we had the boo bears with us, of course. Also, on Saturday there was a Children's Fair at the park, so of course we had to go to that. It was OK. Here we are at the Fair.


That's kind of how it was -- hot and dry and barren. Welcome to Ridgecrest.

After the Fair, we walked over to the Maturango Museum to see the wildflower display there (part of the Festival). We were there for about two seconds, due to two little men who wanted to pick up all the wildflower displays. Thus, I didn't take any photos of it, so here are some more wildflower photos instead.

I think this is some kind of buckwheat, not totally sure. We found it in the field near our house:


This is Desert Larkspur. We found it near Fossil Falls:


And this is called Desert Mallow or Apricot Mallow, also found near Fossil Falls:


Back to the Festival. We next went over to the Rec Center, where there were booths with people selling arts and crafts, and also non-profits. The tortoise club had a booth, so we went there. Here we are, bothering the tortoises.


My writers club had a booth too, and I sat at it for two hours on Sunday morning, but very few people came by. Not really surprising, considering that it was Palm Sunday in a town with more churches than restaurants.

Sunday afternoon I had "prep," so Rocket Boy took the twins to the birthday party of one of their little friends from daycare. Here's Baby A attempting (and failing) to hit a pinata at the party:


Monday, Rocket Boy and I made the drive to Lancaster and back for my procedures. An hour and a half each way. I don't have any photos -- oh wait, I do too. But you know what, I'm going to keep them to myself. Much as I'd love to scan and share with you the photos of my sparkling clean colon, duodenum, and the rest, I'm not going to. Apparently I have some limits.

Tonight Rocket Boy said to me, "So what do you want to do next weekend?"

"Nothing!"

Of course, it's Easter, so it won't be nothing. But I can dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment