Friday, April 22, 2011

Not a particularly good Friday

Just a short post tonight because I am worn out. What a terrible day. Every other Friday our cleaning lady comes, and while Rocket Boy really loves the results, the process is less enjoyable for me. First I have to pick up the whole house BEFORE she comes -- but AFTER the twins go to daycare, because any picking up I do with them home, they immediately undo. So there's this tiny window of time where I run around frantically picking things up, back and forth across the house, redistributing items that the twins have strewn. Then, panting, I go and get Crystal (she doesn't drive), take her to Wal-Mart where she selects cleaning products for me to buy, and then take her back to our house so she can start cleaning, while I sit at my computer feeling guilty because I'm not doing the cleaning. Of course it benefits her, because she gets our business, but I feel that if I were a good person, I would clean my own house.

Today I really strongly considered asking Crystal if we could reschedule, because I'm so tired and sick with some funky virus, but I chickened out. So I did all the usual picking up and fetching. Then, about half an hour after she got started, I had to leave again, because the boys' class at daycare was having an Easter party and parents were urged to attend. I got there a few minutes late, just in time to see Baby A being led over to Time Out, but when he spotted me he shouted "My mommy's here!" and was allowed to run over to me, along with Baby B.

Then we had to make Easter baskets. All the other kids' parents could focus on making their Easter basket the most beautiful ever. Some of the kids even had two relatives there to help. And then there was me, frantically trying to make TWO Easter baskets in the allotted time. The joys of twins are never ending. As I worked, people came around with baskets of treats and put some in every kid's basket. Plastic eggs full of candy, candy on its own, cookies in ziploc bags. What a nightmare.

As soon as the baskets were made and filled, Baby A and Baby B started demanding to go home. And then I realized that that was what was expected of me -- when I left, I was supposed to take my children with me, even though it was only 3 pm and they normally stay until 5 pm. But I had Crystal at home, cleaning. So I said "Let's go to the park" and they were all for it. I called Rocket Boy from the car and told him that if by any chance he could possibly leave work just a LITTLE early, that it would be MUCH APPRECIATED, and he said oh yes, he would leave as soon as he shut down the computers.

So we went to Pearson Park (not to be confused with Pearsonville Park), which has pretty good play equipment. The boos insisted on bringing some of their candy over to the play area. I just didn't have the strength to prevent this. After a bit they both announced that they had pooped and I should change their diapers. So we went back across the park and across the street to where I'd parked the car, and I changed both diapers. While I was changing one boy, the other would get more candy out of his basket. Then back to the park, more playing, and pretty soon Baby B has another poopy diaper. Rinse and repeat. Meanwhile their chocolate candy is melting in the hot car and they're eating it anyway, and WHERE IS ROCKET BOY???? At 4:30 I gave up, packed them back into the car, and went home. But of course Crystal was still cleaning, so we went and sat in the backyard. I wanted to crawl in a tortoise burrow and hide. Finally at 5 pm Rocket Boy showed up. Soon after that, Crystal was done, so we took her home.

Then we had to do something about dinner. On the days Crystal comes, we eat out, so that we don't mess up the kitchen 30 seconds after she's cleaned it. But the boos had been eating candy all afternoon. Plus, our favorite place to take them for a quick bite, the coffeehouse Casa Java, went out of business recently. So we decided to go to the Espresso Cafe, which has a large outdoor seating area. But when we got there, they were setting up for Live Music, Wine Tasting, a Special Menu, and other non-toddler-friendly things, so we left. But then what? "Taco Bell?" Rocket Boy suggested.

I just couldn't do Taco Bell. So we went home, stopping on the way at the funny little drive-through place at the corner of Ridgecrest and Norma to get Rocket Boy a vanilla shake. He shared it with the twins and that was their dinner. I had a peanut butter sandwich. And after many more hours the twins went to bed. And now I'm going to go too.

But first, as a reward to everyone who read this far, here are two photos. First, the tortoises having breakfast this morning (grape leaves, hollyhock leaves, and yellow rose petals):


And second, a postprandial nap in the sun:

No comments:

Post a Comment