Thursday, April 28, 2011

Surveys

Several months ago I got an email from Macy's (the department store), inviting me to become a member of e-Rewards, which is an online survey company. I researched them, decided they were legitimate, and signed up. I think I was feeling guilty because my old job had just ended and I wasn't bringing in any money. Well, several months later I'm still not bringing in any money, because e-Rewards doesn't pay you in money. They pay you in fake money which you can redeem for "rewards," but most of the rewards are stupid -- miles for airlines that I never fly on, magazine subscriptions, that kind of thing. There's a $25 Macy's gift card that you can get if you earn $45 I think it is, so that's what I'm aiming for.

What I find amusing about the surveys that e-Rewards offers me is that I almost never get to take any of them. I've taken maybe two out of about 50. The problem is that I never meet their criteria. They ask some screening questions in the beginning and I always fail. So then I get 50 cents as a consolation prize, instead of the $6 or $10 or whatever that I would have gotten if I'd been able to complete the survey. This is why, after 50 surveys, I only have about $28 in my account.

Take today, for instance. The survey was going to be something about hair care products. First they asked me about my hair -- how long was it, was it straight or curly. Then they asked me which of these styling tools did I use regularly: curling iron, hot curlers, I don't know what all. I didn't use any of them (hairbrush wasn't listed). The last "styling tool" on the list was a blow dryer. I almost never blow dry my hair, probably not in the past several years, but just to make them happy I checked "Less than once a month" for frequency (instead of "never").

They said "thank you for your time" and I got 50 cents.

Living in Ridgecrest is often responsible for my being kicked out of surveys. In one recent one they wanted to know where I lived and I checked off "California." They came back with "Where in California? SF Bay Area, Los Angeles, San Diego... (there were a few more choices)... or Other?" Of course, I had to check "Other." "Thank you for your time..." I thought that was very funny.

One survey wanted to know what chain restaurants I eat at. Ridgecrest has Denny's and some fast food places, but that's it. We like to eat at Red Lobster when we go to Palmdale, but it wasn't on the list. So from the list of about 100 restaurants I checked off Denny's and Carl's Jr. "Thank you for your time..."

Sometimes I get kicked out as soon as I tell them how old I am. It's clear to me that 50-year-old housewives in Ridgecrest are not these surveys' target audience.

In another recent survey, they wanted to know whether I'd bought any electronic devices in the past 6 months. I don't think we have, but we had bought something in the past year, so I said yes. What were these devices, the survey wanted to know, a blu-ray player? A video-game console? I checked "Other." The survey asked me to explain what I meant by Other. I typed "TV converter box." I thought that would disqualify me, but no, I was allowed to continue. The survey asked me whether I planned to buy any electronic devices in the next six months. Truly, I don't, but I lied and said I was going to buy a camera (if boos keep dropping mine, I will have to). The survey asked me whether I would like to buy my new camera at WalMart, Costco, Target, etc. I said I would be happy to buy it at Target. "Thank you for your time." I don't even get to take the surveys when I lie!

Rocket Boy doesn't think I should take these surveys, that I'm giving out too much personal information. I'm sure he's right, though I'm also sure I give out less personal information than the people who actually get to TAKE the surveys. Not to worry. As soon as I get that Macy's gift card, I'm going to take myself and my unpopular personal information far away from e-Rewards and any other online survey company that might knock at my (virtual) door.

No comments:

Post a Comment