Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Packing and packing and packing

Thought I'd check in to let everyone know we're still alive, packing, packing, packing. We have SO much stuff. So far we have packed about 70 boxes, and in most rooms it looks like we haven't even started yet. Very disheartening. It's now Tuesday night and the movers are coming at 8 am Thursday morning, so tomorrow is IT. I must frantically pack all afternoon. Can't pack in the morning because I have little helpers...

Boos are excited about the new house and want to visit it every day. Yesterday, most unusually, it rained, and in the morning the boos and I went over to the new house to deliver a few things. We sat at a card table in the kitchen eating muffins and watching the rain, and I taught them "It's raining, it's pouring, the old man is snoring..." They were entranced and wanted to hear it over and over. (The other thing they want me to sing these days is "I'm gonna wash that man right out of my hair." I'm not sure why.)

One nice thing about the new house is that it's walking distance from a park. This weekend the boos actually rode to the park on their tricycles. I was a basket case by the time we got back, but they had fun.

Rocket Boy has been madly working on the garage (both our current one and the new one).

Here's the new garage with one wall of shelves about half done:

He's now finished that wall and also put up shelves on the wall across from it. Unfortunately all the shelves are full already. But our current garage is mostly empty, so that's good.

The new house really has a lot less space than this one, and more importantly, far fewer cupboards and cabinets. Our Boulder house has less square footage but it has cupboards and shelves tucked into every available nook. No one has thought to do that in our new Ridgecrest house. I keep telling Rocket Boy "we have to thin" and he keeps telling me "we don't have time" and we're both right.

Today I brought my clothes over to the new house (from my closet) and discovered that I have too many clothes for the new closet. So I did a massive "thinning" and came up with a huge pile to donate. Of course I didn't have time to go donate the huge pile, so now I'm driving around with it. I put the huge pile in the back of the Subaru and covered it with a blanket. I'm hoping it will just vanish. Along with about a third of our other stuff.

This too will pass, but not soon enough for me.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to interrupt...don't know how to contact you in any other way. Letting you know I posted a note on LP.

    Hope the unpacking is going well. We're planning (maybe) a trip to Denver for a vet convention in March...so I've been thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ann -- I'm actually not on LP anymore -- new computer, lost my old bookmarks, don't remember how to get there or what my password was.... I hope you do get to go to Denver, though March can be a VERY snowy month!

    ReplyDelete