Saturday, January 7, 2012

House hunting

I'm not keeping up with any of my resolutions, minimalist though they were, but I'm going to cut myself some slack on that. In fact, I think that's going to be my #2 resolution for the month (#1 being a successful move): CUT SELF SOME SLACK. This is all just too stressful for me to also be critical of myself while it's happening.

So anyway, the last few days we've been looking at a lot of houses: eleven, to be exact. I think that makes a total of 17. Or something like that. They all blur together. If I didn't bring the camera along, I wouldn't remember anything about them at all. Actually, I'd remember lots of details, but I wouldn't remember which details belonged to which house. An hour after our jaunt this morning, when we looked at four houses, Rocket Boy was already getting them mixed up: "Wasn't the garage with all the shelves on Sherwood?" (It was on Rawhide.)

Certain aspects of Ridgecrest houses are a lot like houses anywhere in California. Other aspects are different. For instance, here is a fairly typical Ridgecrest backyard:


Isn't that lovely? Doesn't it make you want to move right in? I should note that inside this was a nice house. And it's in a very nice neighborhood.

Here's a backyard we saw yesterday evening, with Baby A running happily across it. It was associated with a very nice house, and a big back patio as you can see. Covered patios are popular in Ridgecrest. You can sit out there in the evenings and admire your dirt.


Another house we saw yesterday actually had a patch of astroturf in the front yard. We were not sure why.

Here's a yard we saw a few weeks ago, especially nice because it has that tree:


But we were iffy about the house, and while we dithered, someone else snapped it up.

The house I think we're going to apply for has absolutely nothing in the backyard, not even a weed. Just dirt. During windstorms, we'll really have to keep our windows shut tight.

It's so hard to keep plants and trees alive out here, and requires so much water, that a lot of people just don't try. Like they say, "Not xeriscaping, ZEROscaping."

We've always thought the backyard of our current house was odd, but man, it is a PARADISE compared to what we've been seeing. We're going to miss it.

No comments:

Post a Comment