Friday, February 11, 2011

Pearsonville

Last weekend Rocket Boy had to go to Colorado to deal with some problems involving our property out there, and the boos and I were left to our own devices. I hadn't had to take care of them for a weekend alone since, gosh, last summer I guess. So I was nervous about it. And my nervousness turned out to be justified. It's hard for me to take care of those two little guys for long stretches of time. In Ridgecrest. Where there's nothing to do and we know pretty much no one, even after two years. But somehow, barely, we survived.

On Sunday, we went for a long stroller walk in the morning -- got the newspaper, had a snack at the Starbucks inside Albertson's, walked over to Subway to get a foot-long sandwich to share, and then went home the long way. After lunch it was time for a nap drive, so we drove to Olancha, turned around, and drove back. On the way back we drove past Pearsonville, where there is a park.

Pearsonville is a tiny community on Highway 395 about 20 miles north of Ridgecrest. Wikipedia says it has 27 residents. It has a Shell gas station with a Subway attached to it. Pearsonville is called "the hubcap capital of the world" and has a huge wrecking yard, but I guess you can't visit that without permission.

Pearsonville also has an old park. Its equipment is aging, but the park is well kept up. Rocket Boy found it on a map and then explored it with the twins. Now, almost every time we drive north on 395 we at least consider stopping at the park. The boos love it and so does Rocket Boy.

I don't love it, actually. I think it's kind of creepy.

Near the entrance to the park is a 30-foot tall statue of a lady. It appears that she used to hold some sort of sign in her hand. I don't like the lady, I think she's creepy. But the boos like her. "See that teeny-tiny park, see that lady!" they shouted from the back seat. So we went to see that lady.


I should note that these photos were not taken last weekend (Rocket Boy had the camera with him in Boulder). They were taken a few weeks before. But it's always the same.

Some of the equipment in the park just looks like stuff I used to play on.


Other equipment is a little weirder.


What you can't tell from these photos is that Highway 395 runs very close to the park. Actually, just outside the park is Pearson Road, and then just beyond Pearson Road is the highway. So you're not really isolated when you're here, even though there is NEVER ANYONE ELSE THERE. I just constantly have the feeling of being watched. I also have the feeling that a murderer is going to appear out of nowhere and either steal the boos or slice them open. Or that the giant penguin cage thing is going to come alive and start walking towards me. These feelings are naturally lessened when Rocket Boy is with us, but do not entirely disappear.

When he's NOT with us, as he was not last weekend, I spend the whole time in the park looking over my shoulder and saying it's time to go home.

On the other side of the park is a big rock with a memorial plaque on it, to Andy Pearson, co-founder of Pearsonville. Someone (presumably his surviving wife) keeps the front of the rock well-supplied with fake flowers.


I hope this is not actually a gravesite, but I don't know. Rocket Boy and the boos like to climb on this rock, but I don't.

I don't know why this place gives me the willies, but it does. From now on, unless Rocket Boy is with us, I think the boos and I will stick to parks inside Ridgecrest city limits.

14 comments:

  1. I have been doing some research on Pearsonville, pretty interesting story actually. The town is still occupied by it's founding lady Lucy Pearson otherwise known as "Hubcap Lucy". She's a local celebrity and quite a colorful character, her and her daughter have even authored a booked on Personville's storied past. She still lives right across 395 and has a collection of over 140,000 hubcaps.

    With regards to the memorial stone in the park? Here's what she had to say on a forum recently: "...you are so right i picked up my wounded solder and we were married 2 mos later married 52 years until he passed away and he is (buried) in pearsonville park under a big rock is where he wanted to be (buried)".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. If you need any help or information on Pearsonville feel free to let me know as I myself am one of the Pearson's and am still local to the area. I will answer any questions I can. :-)

      Delete
    3. April, discussion with friends has made me very curious about Pearsonville. Is Lucy still around? Rumor has it she is selling hubcaps again in Ridgecrest. What an interesting story your family has!

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for contributing that info -- I'll try to keep my kids from climbing on the big rock in the future! Do you know who maintains the park? Someone goes to a lot of trouble to keep it looking nice, especially since it gets so little use. I don't think I've ever seen another child on the equipment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diana Pearson, Don Pearson's widow, keeps the park up in memory of Donald and Andrew. Thank you Diana! Lucy Pearson, Andrew's widow, keeps the flowers on the grave. However, recently, she has been unable to do so due to failing mobility at age 87. Most of all the toys at the park are retired from McDonald's, where Don (before he died) purchased them for the park when McDonald's updated their restaurants. The Merry-go-rounds came in an auction of 2, from the US Navy. Don donated one of the Merry-go-Rounds to a local church - same day of purchase. Don made the basketball courts himself, by hand. He planted all the trees, and he made the horse-shoe courts himself. Many a good times was spent there. Every 4th of July, Don spent thousands if dollars having a Pot Luck Dinner and spectacular Fireworks Show for anyone that wanted to come. The park was always FULL of people on that night. Lovingly written by Janice Pearson, Don's sister July 2014.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Diana Pearson does the upkeep on the part in memory of her late husband Donald Pearson and his father Andrew Pearson. I have to say she does a really nice job as well! Lucy does what she can to help keep flowers on the grave but is no longer able to drive and doesn't get out much anymore. I was there when the park was build and saw it go from desert into the park that it is now and Don did an amazing job creating it and I wont ever forget! I have many memories of the 4th of July pot luck that Don would throw for everybody followed by a great firework display. Yes the park was always FULL during the 4th of July and people hardly had room to walk, so many families would come from Ridgecrest because of the friendly family atmosphere that was in Pearsonville. I will cherish those memories always and will hold them close to my heart as I know that is all I have left as Andrew Pearson's Granddaughter and Donald Pearson's Niece. R.I.P. Papaw and Uncle Donny Duck, I love and miss you both!

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for all that information! I always wondered about that penguin/octopus thing, but of course it's the McDonaldland Grimace!

    We no longer live in Ridgecrest, but were back for a visit about a month ago, and stopped by Pearsonville Park at our boys' request. It continues to be very well kept up and hardly used at all. I think just twice we've seen other families there. Must have been nice in the days of the 4th of July parties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 4th of July pot luck parties were some of the best times we had in Pearsonville along with the great firework display after everybody enjoyed the feast! I also have memories of the auction we had there years ago, the Toy Run with all the Harley riders and of course I have LOTS of memories of the race track and demolition derby! Good times there and it saddens me that we can't do those things anymore! Forever the memories will stay in my heart.

      Delete
  5. I just want to say I love your blog. I realize you aren't here anymore but I found your blog not long after moving to Ridgecrest about 3 yrs ago. I plan on going to check out Pearsonville park soon because I really want to take some pictures of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily,

      Did you ever make it out to Pearsonville and take pictures o the park?

      Delete
  6. I am actually reading this as I sit in the park at Pearsonville. This park is my goto when my wife needs a break from the kids or just time to get things done around the house. The kids love the park and refer to it as the caterpillar park because of the big green caterpillar they climb all over. Both of the cars you can rock back and forth on and one of the rocking horses seem newly painted. A tree has been removed next to the caterpillar also. I always pick up trash when I am here (probably blown out of the barrels by the wind or maybe picked up and littered by the ravens). I am very appreciative of whoever upkeeps this park and would be more than happy to volunteer if assistance is needed with anything. Seabee_eo_19@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jesse,

      Thank you for picking up trash when your there! I did the same thing when I lived out there and visited the park. yes the trash mostly comes from ravens picking through it, pesky birds! My Aunt Diana Pearson is the one that does the upkeep on the park, I know it's alot of work for her but she does such a nice job!

      Delete
  7. Thank you April for the information here and that Diana Pearson does all the upkeep of the park. I'm very thankful for her. The park has a special place in my heart. It's so peaceful and I stop by when I can. Love the new pines that have been planted as many had died off. Some new benches have been added and everything has been cleaned again. What a place and what a place it once was.

    ReplyDelete