Wednesday, June 23, 2010

We survived

OK, I think I can say we survived this, as I knew we would, but it was really touch and go there for a while. Baby A did not have any more vomiting episodes after Sunday, but I kept him home from daycare on Monday, and during the day I became more and more sure I had strep throat again. Baby B wouldn't eat his dinner Monday night and threw up his milk Tuesday morning (all over himself, the floor, and me). I felt nauseated all Tuesday morning and finally threw up around 11:30 am. My sore throat was killing me, but for a long time I didn't take ibuprofen for it because I figured I'd vomit it back up, and I couldn't go to Urgent Care because I had a vomiting baby (although actually he never threw up again), plus I figured I wouldn't be able to keep an antibiotic down so no sense getting one yet (although I never threw up again either, so in retrospect I should have gone, but oh well).

Tuesday was a very bad day. In so many ways. To keep myself from bawling, I did laundry. Three big loads, all dried on the clothesline.

Today Rocket Boy came down with the stomach flu too, but the rest of us were OK, boos went back to daycare, and I went to Urgent Care to have my 3rd strep throat in 2 months diagnosed. Now I have 2 weeks worth of Keflex to take and an appointment with an ear nose and throat doctor for next week.

And I think we're going to be OK. Rocket Boy already feels better. For dinner tonight we're going to Casa Java for decaf lattes (boos will have chocolate milk) and scones. We think our shaky stomachs can handle scones. Maybe tomorrow I'll feel like cooking again.

It's odd, though, I feel really down on myself. Maybe because I complained so much while it was going on. I keep thinking: what if I had strep throat, stomach flu, two-year-old twins, AND lived in Kyrgyzstan? What then, hmmmm? No doctor to go to, no antibiotic, no ginger ale in the refrigerator, no refrigerator, no daycare, mayhem in the streets...

Or what if, instead of recurrent strep throat, I had throat cancer? Now THAT would be something to feel bad about. No antibiotic available for THAT.

I think I just need to get beyond this. No more whining, no more focusing on the negative. WE SURVIVED and we are all going to be OK.

It got to 101 here today. But at least it isn't 111.

No comments:

Post a Comment