Tuesday, June 8, 2010

My new life as a housewife

Well, my job of 11+ years has finally ended. I am no longer "employed outside the home" as they say. No one is paying me now. Nothing I did yesterday or today earned any money. I am useless, really. Parasitic. Just the diaper changer around here.

Speaking of diapers, we have officially started potty training, as of yesterday. That's part of my new job. We are using the "potty practice" method, which means I put them on their potties every couple of hours and hope something happens. So far only Baby A has "done anything" on the potty, and I'm sure it was an accident. He didn't even know it had happened. Baby B desperately wants to do it, and tries and tries, but so far no luck.



Sorry, couldn't resist. This photo shows them fighting over the frog potty, so now we have 2 frog potties and they fight over whose is whose (they are identical).

Being a housewife means doing lots of errands, some of them fun. This morning of course we voted, and that was very fun, and then after visiting the post office, we went across to the park, since it was early still and not too hot (maybe 90). There was one other family there: a mom, 2 older boys, and a toddler. The little boy was interested in the boos' sand toys, so he came over to inspect them, and then the whole family came over too and sat by us. This is quite unusual for Ridgecrest. When we first moved here I would go to the park and smile longingly at other families, wishing someone would talk to me. Now here someone finally was. And guess what? They moved to Ridgecrest a week ago!

What do you say to someone who just moved here? If they had seemed unhappy I could have shared a lot of negative knowledge, but they didn't seem unhappy. They seemed delighted to be here. Also they seemed really nice. I kind of wanted to ask their names, invite them over, try to make friends, but I held back. Maybe they're true Ridgecrestians in training. I shouldn't interfere with the process.

Being a housewife means being home when repairmen come. So today the boos and I were here in the afternoon when the repair guy came to fix the A/C. Turned out it had a broken "contactor" which he replaced for $117. I don't know what a contactor is, but thought Rocket Boy could explain it to me when he came home. Sadly, Rocket Boy has no idea what a contactor is either. Maybe the repair guy made it up? But the A/C didn't work before and now it does, and the repair guy had to climb on our roof in 100-degree heat with the wind blowing, so $117 is fine.

This is something that has always puzzled me about Ridgecrest: all these appliances on the roof. Furnace, swamp cooler, and A/C. In an area with terrible winds and searing summer temps, repair guys are always having to go up on the roof. It's not just us, it's everyone. There must be some reason, but it's elusive.

Being a housewife means cleaning the kitchen and making dinner (tonight we had frozen pasta, frozen peas, and applesauce -- does that count?). I have to admit I don't like housework and am mostly pretty bad at it. This is why we have a house cleaner come every 2 weeks. But I recognize that housework has to get done -- some of it by me and some of it by whomever. Boo bears should have a nice home.

Being a housewife in Ridgecrest means hanging the laundry on the line and having it dry in minutes. It means picking leaves for the tortoises. It means putting sweet little boys into their pajamas, reading them stories, and kissing them goodnight.

I can do this for a while. And then we'll figure out what comes next.

No comments:

Post a Comment