Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Packing, Part 1

And so it begins... I've decided to try to pack 5 boxes a day, starting yesterday. The packers come on April 29th. 28 days of April makes 140 boxes. Does that sound like a lot? When we moved out here 4 years ago, we had 270 THINGS that were given moving stickers, 270 THINGS that were loaded onto the truck. I'm not sure how many of those THINGS were boxes, but I know it was a lot. Thus it seems prudent to try to pack 140 boxes myself, and then the packers can do whatever I don't get done.
I wish the packers were doing it all. I've been packing for 2 days and I'm already losing my mind.

All the moving books and websites say to get your packing supplies together ahead of time. We already had the boxes, saved from our move out here and our move across town last year. (I've been told a good moving box can last 3 moves, so this will be it for our boxes.) They've been living in the rafters of the garage.
On Easter Sunday, I nagged Rocket Boy to get some of them down for me, and finally he did. Only a couple of bundles, but it was enough to get started.

On Monday, Baby A had his kindergarten physical. My big boy! His doctor was fascinated by the Colorado medical forms, which I had printed off. Far fewer requirements than the California forms. I was just as glad. Baby A still had to get 3 shots, including the dreaded MMRV vaccine, which hurts going in and for a long time afterwards too. He was so brave, didn't cry. (I have a vivid memory of having a total meltdown at the doctor's office when I had to have a shot at around the same age.) He got lots of band-aids and stickers and two pencils as rewards. I took him home and gave him Tylenol and a cookie, but then he wanted to go to daycare, so I took him there.

Came back home to start packing. But first I had to be nervous for a couple of hours. That's kind of a hobby of mine. Then it was lunchtime (nice healthy meal, consisting mainly of chocolate ice cream). And then it was an hour and a half until I had to pick up the boos, so I began frantically packing. Got 4 boxes packed. Terrible. Behind already, and it was only the first day.

Today there were no appointments, nothing to distract me. I took the kids to daycare, came home to pack. But first I got on the computer and started making hotel reservations for our drive across the country. Sent some emails. Did a little daydreaming. Finally around 11 am I was ready to pack.

And then I couldn't find the tape. I'd used it the day before, so where was it? I turned the house upside down, but no tape. I ended up having to drive to the little packing store near us to buy another roll. Then I ate lunch. Finally at about 12:30 I was ready to pack. I packed like a madwoman. But the new tape that I'd bought did everything it could to thwart me. Absolutely awful stuff, kept sticking to the rest of the roll, and then when I'd try to pull it off, it would split into strands. Plus, it wouldn't stay stuck to the boxes. Much profanity could be heard (though only by the cat), but I got 6 boxes done, so I'm caught up.

Tonight after dinner I drove out to Staples and bought 3 big rolls of the good stuff, Scotch Moving & Storage packaging tape, "Long Lasting" variety. Plus another dispenser. Plus more Sharpie markers. Nothing's going to stop me from doing 5 more boxes tomorrow.

But first I've got to take Baby B to the doctor for HIS kindergarten physical. My sweet little boy!

I am going to survive this month. I am. I really am. But oh, I am so tired already. And it is only the second day.

No comments:

Post a Comment