Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Plum cake


Rocket Boy's birthday (we won't say which one) was yesterday, and so I made him a plum cake, which has become his traditional birthday cake. I first made a plum cake several years ago for my book group, because we were reading a Regency Romance that month (just to find out what that was), and I wanted to serve something from Regency times. I did a little research and discovered plum cake. I don't think my book group thought much of it, but Rocket Boy and I loved it. We were so sad when we finished it.

For his birthday that year, I made another plum cake, and I've made one on his birthday almost every year since. I'm not sure why I do this. It takes forever to make plum cake -- this year I spent all Sunday afternoon making it, and it didn't come out of the oven until 7 pm. Furthermore, Rocket Boy hates his birthday, hates to acknowledge that he's getting older. He would be thrilled if I just ignored it altogether.

But I just can't do that. I understand his feelings, and I NEVER mention how old he is on his card, or to the twins, or whatever. But to me, a birthday is always a celebration, because it's so wonderful that you've made it through another year -- you're still here with us. I just have to do something to show him how glad I am that he's still here. So I make a plum cake.

All the plum cakes I have made have been delicious, each a little different. I use a recipe from the Barbara Pym Cookbook (I am probably the only person on earth who owns this cookbook). Here is the recipe, with my alterations in italics. Incidentally, you will note that there are no plums in plum cake.

PLUM CAKE

3/4 pound (350 g) butter
1 1/3 cups (225 g) sugar (I use super fine sugar)
4 eggs
2 cups (350 g) flour (DON'T use whole wheat, not a good idea)
1/2 teaspoon mixed spice (Pumpkin Pie spice is the closest American equivalent)
Pinch of salt
3/4 cup (110 g) chopped glaceed cherries (yuck yuck yuck, I usually substitute dried cranberries)
3/4 cup (110 g) raisins (I use golden raisins)
3/4 cup (110 g) sultanas (whatever those are -- I use currants)
3/4 cup (110 g) chopped almonds (my main variation is to use more nuts -- this year I replaced them with 3/4 cup chopped walnuts AND 3/4 cup chopped pecans, other years I've had 3 kinds of nuts)
3/4 cup (110 g) chopped candied lemon, orange, or mixed peel (yuck yuck yuck, this year I substituted chopped dried apricots and dried blueberries)
Grated rind of 1 lemon and 1 orange
Glass of brandy (optional) (I usually skip it)

Preheat oven to 300 F (150 C). Cream butter and sugar, then add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition until mixture is stiff and uniform. Sift the flour with the spice and salt, stir well into creamed mixture, then add everything else. Combine thoroughly and bake in a tin (I use a springform pan) lined with greased paper (I use parchment paper, buttered) for about 3 1/2 hours. (I usually take it out after 3 hours.) Do not let top burn. (I put a piece of foil lightly over it when it's getting dark.)

I add one more step after the cake has cooled a bit -- I squeeze the orange and lemon (the ones that gave up their rinds for the cake) and mix all that juice with powdered sugar to taste (we don't like it too sweet). Then I take the cake out of its pan, peel the paper off, set it on the glass plate that you can see in the picture, and slowly pour the glaze over it. This year I also sprinkled a little powdered sugar on top, but that's quite unnecessary. When the glaze has soaked in completely, the cake is ready to cut and serve. It's heavenly. Really. Even Baby A liked it this year.

Maybe next year Baby B will like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment