Friday, September 23, 2011

Miscellany


September is moving along -- one more week. I don't feel ready for October, primarily because I haven't decided what to do about Halloween costumes this year. Boos are old enough to have opinions, but not really old enough to make good decisions. If I say, "Do you want to be X?" they say "NO!" but they don't have any better ideas. To be fair, Baby A has expressed interest in being a frog, so we might do that (I would buy it -- don't want to try to make a frog). Here's a cute frog:


I thought it would be nice if Baby B were a tortoise, but he says NO, and there we are. He HAS mentioned wanting to be a kitty, but that's a little problematic. It's assumed (by the business executives who decide these things) that only girls would want to be kitties for Halloween, so there's a lot of pink involved in the costumes. Here's an example:


Of course I could MAKE a kitty costume... or we could buy this kitty costume and I could do things to it to make it less girly.

Or I could force him to be a tortoise. Decisions, decisions.

One pretty cool thing about Halloween is that this year we'll be trick-or-treating without diapers. Yeah baby! We are not 100% potty trained yet, but doing so well. Boos wear underwear to daycare every day and in the past 3 weeks, Baby B has had only one accident. Baby A comes home in a different pair of shorts most days, so he's still working on this. But we're getting there.

They still wear diapers to bed at night and on long car trips...but but but last weekend when we went to Palmdale, Baby B said "No diaper. Underwear!" and he stayed dry the whole trip. Told us when he needed to go, made use of available facilities. No accidents. Baby A happily wore diapers, and we were relieved about that too, because he's not ready for undies on long trips. Anyway, we're getting there. Score one for naked potty training!

(Photo from http://www.itsnature.org/ground/creepy-crawlies-land/sunspiderwind-scorpion/)

Had a little excitement here the other morning. Boos and I were at home, as usual, doing chores and making puzzles and the like. I was in the kitchen and I heard them call me. "Mommy, come! There's a big bydo!" Well, gosh, just what I felt like dealing with, a big bydo, but I'm the mom, so I came. And there, next to the baseboard, just behind their puzzle table, was a creature that looked quite a bit like the one above. A sun spider.

Sun spiders are not really dangerous, but they look sooooo freaky, plus they will bite you if bothered and I'm told the bite hurts. So this sun spider needed to go outside. I went and got the 2 plastic cups we use for this purpose, got the critter inside them with no trouble, and took it outside, where I threw it into the grass.

Immediately, the sun spider ran right back toward me. And they run FAST. Much faster than any regular spider can run.

Horrified, I managed to scoop it up in a cup again and threw it into the grass again. And again it ran back to me. FAST.

So again I scooped it up, and this time threw it into a group of trees and rocks. Finally it stayed put, or rather, it ran into the rocks.

Sun spiders don't like the sun -- that's why they're called sun spiders, of course, duh, huh??? -- and so when I tossed it into the sun, it ran back toward me to get under my shadow. But oh man, it felt as though it was coming to kill me. It was a long time before I could breathe normally again.

And if you're wondering why I didn't just smash it, well, sun spiders eat black widow spiders. Nuff said?


I'm feeling a bit wistful as October approaches, because we just found out today that our poor foreclosed-upon house is going up for auction on October 14 -- that's three weeks from today. What happens after that is anyone's guess. Someone just told me about someone in Ridgecrest whose house went up for auction recently -- and nobody bought it -- but we probably can't count on that. One of these days I think someone's going to knock on our door and tell us to get out. And where the heck are we going to go then, I just don't know. Do we rent another house in Ridgecrest, do we give up and go back to Colorado, will Rocket Boy finally get a job offer that will take us somewhere else? Your guess is as good as mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment