Sunday, May 22, 2011

Swimming again

The Ridgecrest pool has opened -- no, I shouldn't say that, I have no idea when the real Ridgecrest pool is going to open -- but the Oasis Pool on base has finally opened, so we went there today to swim. Only people who work on base (and their immediate families) can go there. It's an OK pool, I guess, but the real attraction for us is that there is also a very small wading pool.

I was hoping the boos could still wear last year's swim diapers, but nope, they've outgrown them. So before we left, I got online and ordered FOUR new swim diapers, in the next bigger size. One blue, one green, one yellow, and one red. They're supposed to be here by Friday. In the meantime we could use disposable swim diapers.

We got to the pool around 3:30 pm. It was warm, but the wind had started to blow. The attendant asked both Rocket Boy and me to sign in, and then we had to pay $1 each (boos were free). The process of being admitted to the pool is very mysterious. I think this is the first time I've ever had to sign in. Maybe once before Rocket Boy has had to. Sometimes it costs as much as $5 for me, sometimes we're both free. Ours not to reason why.

Then we all walked around the building to the wading pool and what do you know? There's a sign in front of it saying "Closed for Maintenance." I hate Ridgecrest and I hate China Lake Naval Base. Can't get ANYTHING right. We later asked one of the lifeguards what kind of "maintenance" the 5 ft by 5 ft wading pool needed. He said they needed to get the chlorine level right.

So, since we'd paid our $2 and promised the boos a swim, we decided to swim in the big pool. I got the boos and me changed, and we went out to meet Rocket Boy. He climbed into the pool, the shallow end, and then we began trying to convince the twins that it would be fun to go in the water. These are boys who were taking swimming lessons when they were 6 months old. But would they go in? No, they wouldn't. They screamed and cried when it was suggested. The most we got them to do was to sit next to me with their legs in the water for about two seconds.

The rest of the time they ran around the pool area. And I do mean "ran." And consequently got whistled at and yelled at by the lifeguards pretty much nonstop. I got out of the pool and walked after them, shouting "No run! Walk! No running! Stop running and walk! No Sesame Street if you don't stop running! OK, that's one!" all to absolutely no avail. I grabbed Baby B's arm at one point and made him re-do a journey he had just run, only we walked it. Then we walked some more. Then I let go of his arm and he ran, as lifeguard whistles blew.

This was one of the few times in my life so far that I wished I would be mistaken for their grandmother. A grandmother might be excused for not being able to make her grandsons behave. But a mom?

It occurred to me, watching them, that in their non-pool life they run all the time too. They almost don't know how to walk. Maybe that was the problem.

Rocket Boy thought it would be a good idea to get the little ball and ring we'd brought with us and have the twins throw them to him in the water and then he'd throw them back. Oh, what a bad idea that was! as two little boys go RUNNING after the ball. Finally he wised up and threw the ball and ring in the water close to them, so they had to get down on their stomachs and grab them out of the water. But there was still plenty of running going on.

And we hadn't put any sunscreen on either them or me, because the wading pool is covered and you don't get any sun there.

At 4:30 I just gave up. I said, "It's time to go." Rocket Boy said, "Oh, not yet, they're still having fun."

Fortunately at that point Baby B took his swim diaper off (amid much laughter from the lifeguards), so I whisked him off to the dressing room and got both him and me changed. When we came out again, Rocket Boy was still playing with Baby A, but I said "Just Get Out," and he did.

While I was changing Baby A, Baby B ran outside again, and when he returned, a lifeguard was following him. I said, "What did he do?" and she said "Oh, he just keeps running. We don't want them to fall down and get hurt, you know." I said, "Yes, I know," wanting to remind her about ALL THE TIMES I had yelled "No run!" But I bit my tongue.

We went out to wait for Rocket Boy, and the boos ran some more. Then they jumped on some chaise lounges, and a lifeguard made a special trip over to tell us that wasn't allowed.

I'm thinking maybe I should just send those swim diapers back. It's going to be a long summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment