Thursday, May 5, 2011

Summer is coming, as are summer clothes

Summer is here, at least for the moment. It's supposed to be a little cooler next week, but this week it's in the 90s, and as usual I can't quite deal with it yet. I'm dopey and lazy. This afternoon around 4:30 I was lying on my bed reading, ignoring the fact that it was almost time to get the twins and I hadn't started dinner, when Rocket Boy called and offered to bring home dinner. I said "Oh thank you, thank you, thank you!"

I still don't understand what he brought -- soft tortillas with banana inside and chocolate sauce and whipped cream on top -- or where he got them -- it sounded as though one of his co-workers made them? Is that possible? And it was a pretty weird thing to have for dinner. But I ate it willingly. The first of many weird summer meals. It's so hard to think of something to have for dinner when it's over 100 degrees, i.e., June, July, August, and September.

The coming of summer means the coming of summer clothes too. I lucked out this year with the boys -- most of last year's clothes fit them just fine (because they were too big for them last year). I don't need to buy them any new shorts. I've bought a few t-shirts, but not many. Even last year's sandals fit much better this year. I'll have to see whether their swim diapers still fit or not.

Summer clothes for me are more of a problem. I have a fatter stomach this year than last, due to some digestive issues I've been having, and I'm not supposed to wear constricting clothes. So I'm going through my old shorts and capri pants, trying to figure out which ones have loose enough waistbands. I may wear more skirts this summer. I've even ordered a few dresses.

The fashion colors for summer seem to be (a) white and (b) black. I've never looked good in white, but a white skirt can be topped by a colorful tank top. Black, on the other hand... for summer? for Ridgecrest summer? Last weekend we were in Palmdale and I tried on clothes at Macy's. They had a nice full cotton skirt -- but it was black. Standing there looking at myself in the mirror, I conjured up Ridgecrest in August... and immediately took the skirt off.

When it's 107 degrees, you don't want a black thing touching your skin.

We don't have our swamp cooler running yet -- the guy is supposed to come by Saturday to do it. The house gets so hot. And all I want to do is lie around.

May 5th. Not ready to do this yet. Please summer, go away.

Before I end my ramblings for tonight, I want to give a big welcome to the newest member of our family, my little grandniece Marisel, born this morning. We're looking forward to meeting her in a month!

No comments:

Post a Comment