Thursday, December 17, 2009

Christmas, continued

December is passing quickly, as it always does. The babies and I have 3 Advent calendars and most days I remember to open the windows. First we look at the real calendar and find the date, then we look for that date on the Advent calendars. Actually I believe the babies have not the foggiest idea what the connection is between the two types of calendars, but that's OK. When I say "We should open the next window on our Advent calendars," they get excited and run to the kitchen and point at the calendars. And they love watching me open the little windows.

The rest of Christmas is moving along, as it always does, even in Ridgecrest. I'm working on my cards, almost done with gifts. The toy kitchen arrived today, so that's going to be a project to put together. Other than that, we're just going to do stockings for the babies, since they'll get lots of presents from other family members. Haven't baked any cookies yet, haven't put up the tree.
This week at the babies' daycare we helped celebrate "Jesus' Birthday Party." That was quite something, involving a snow machine, a craft project that was totally inappropriate for small children, and pepperoni pizza (which none of the kids ate). I believe that my children have no idea who Jesus is, nor do they see any connection between his birthday party and all the glass ball ornaments hanging from the ceiling of their daycare room. (Nor do most people.) But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe they're absorbing all of this, making connections. At what point will they start turning into Republicans?

Just when I was really missing Boulder a lot, we got a call: a water pipe in our house burst due to the extremely cold weather they've been having. Also our furnace is out (that's why the pipe burst) and we may have to replace it. So I've been dealing with insurance adjusters and emergency clean-up people and plumbers. It's so hard to do from so far away. That's using up my energy -- nothing left for baking.

And of course, December is a sad month too. The days leading up to the winter solstice are so long and dark. The happy month is also the month to remember those who are gone: my mother, my father, all four grandparents, all my aunts and uncles on my mother's side, and my oldest sister. Also Rocket Boy's mother, father, grandparents, and all his aunts and uncles. It sometimes seems like there isn't anyone left alive, but then I remember that's what reproduction is for. Making more. And our two more are asleep in their beds, but tomorrow they will remind me again to smile and maybe even make Christmas cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment