Thursday, December 31, 2009

After Christmas

Everyone's least favorite time, sigh. Actually, the boo bears are having a ball, because they didn't really know it was Christmas anyway, and now they have all these great new toys to play with. The toy kitchen was a big hit, the parking garage was a big hit, the shopping cart was a big hit, the wooden train was a big hit, the doodler was a big hit, the broom and dustpan for heaven's sake were a big hit. From one aunt they received what I thought was an odd present: cubes with pictures of animals or vehicles on them that fit into a little tray, and when put together properly they make the sound of the animal or vehicle. Well, this was a HUGE hit and continues to be. They keep bringing me a tray with cubes on it, arranged incorrectly, and I have to fix it so it makes the sound of a fire engine or a pig or whatever. Another favorite is the wild turkey that was in Baby B's stocking. They keep bringing me the turkey so I'll squeeze it and it'll make its funny sound. I put it in the kitchen's little oven, but they didn't understand. Today it's riding around in the shopping cart.
But for those of us who DIDN'T get a lot of cool presents, after Christmas is kind of a dull time. I only got one small present this year and I have informed Rocket Boy that it was not a hit. He has a hard time with presents: I should give him more assistance.

The last couple of days I've been so miserably depressed that it's been hard to function. Shades of when we first moved to Ridgecrest. So yesterday RB surprised me by arranging for a babysitter and taking me out to dinner at Ridgecrest's version of a fancy French restaurant, Mon Reve.

I put on a dress, tights, and shoes with a bit of a heel. The babysitter arrived and off we went to downtown Ridgecrest, which is the most unlovely downtown that could be imagined. Plenty of street parking, since almost nothing is open in the evening. Our reservations were for 7:30 but we arrived at 6:30 and that was OK too, since only 2 other tables in the restaurant were occupied.

First impressions: paper placemats instead of a tablecloth, entrees all at least $18.95, and "seasoned fries" available as a side dish. Our waitress did not introduce herself or discuss specials or ask us what we wanted to drink, just left us with our menus and water glasses. It's been so long since I've been in a nice restaurant I don't even remember what's normal, but I don't think this is. On the plus side, the food was pretty good. We both had French onion soup (yummy), and a glass of delicious Riesling. RB had sole and I had an interesting chicken dish, also yummy. The cream for our decaf coffee was in those little plastic thimble-size containers. My creme brulee was just OK; RB enjoyed his chocolate volcano. Price with tip: $106. Hmm.

After dinner we walked up and down Balsam Street, attempting to look in shop windows, except that so many of them were vacant. Some tough teenagers were hanging out by the skateboard shop, smoking, but they didn't bother us. I suppose I should comment on how nice it was not to worry about getting mugged, but actually I was slightly worried. It's so empty downtown, and there is supposed to be quite a bit of meth in Ridgecrest. Ah well, nothing happened. We made it home safely.

And now onward into the new year. In six weeks we will celebrate our one-year anniversary in Ridgecrest. But probably not at Mon Reve.

No comments:

Post a Comment