Friday, December 30, 2011

As the year draws to a close

And here we are at the end of the year -- how did that happen? I was sure I had a few more days to work with. Tomorrow is New Year's Eve, time to write my resolutions, fill out my new calendars, help drink the bottle of Korbel Sweet Rose that's in the fridge... yes, I know, that sounds awful, but listen to this review: "Even if you don’t like sweet sparkling wine, it will be hard to turn down another glass of this beauty. It’s so clean and delicious, with a raspberry sorbet and vanilla richness." Since I do like sweet sparkling wine, I'm planning to enjoy it thoroughly. Maybe we'll get Chinese takeout to go with it. Boos will probably want to drink some too, since it's pink, but we will say NO.

All that sounds lovely. But then the next day it will be January. January 29th we have to be out of this house. Four weeks and change. And there is NOTHING out there (in Ridgecrest) worth renting. A month ago, even two weeks ago, there were all sorts of houses available, but now they are all gone. Maybe on January 13th the perfect house will be listed, but right now I'm feeling very gloomy.

Then there's the other problem, which is that Rocket Boy is suddenly getting interviews with organizations in Colorado. One yesterday and another next week. What if the interview on January 6th goes well? What if they offer him the job on January 19th? Do I wait until then to do anything about a new house? What if they call on January 23rd and say sorry, we decided to go with another candidate, and suddenly I have to find a house in Ridgecrest to move into in 6 days? What if they call on January 23rd and offer him the job, and suddenly I have to find a house in Colorado Springs to move into in 6 days? What if we sign a 1-year lease for a new house in Ridgecrest at $1500/month and two weeks later Rocket Boy gets an offer for a great job in Colorado?

OK, that is quite enough of that for one night. Time to return to happy thoughts about new beginnings and sweet sparkling wine.

I should have bought a case.

No comments:

Post a Comment