Tuesday, November 30, 2010

End of November reading update

Well, there are about 45 minutes left of November, so I'll post my reading update. What a sad showing -- I was too busy participating in National Novel Writing Month to read much. And yes, I did make it to 50,000 words -- today -- so I'm a NaNoWriMo "winner" once again --
but the novel itself is not quite finished, so I still need to write some more. I'm partway through Chapter 29 and I had intended to write 30 chapters. So almost there, but not quite. In any case, I have until next November to revise this one, so no worries. Of course, I am still revising the novel I wrote last November, so maybe I should worry.

Here is the pathetically short reading list:

86. Hug Your Kids Today: 5 Key Lessons for Every Working Parent by Michelle Nichols. Michelle was my freshman-year college roommate, so of course I had to read her book. It was heartbreaking but at the same time very funny and insightful. Also very well edited! No typos!
87. China Lake by Anthony Hyde. Of course I had to read a mystery set in and around Ridgecrest. Sadly, it was not the best book ever written, but it was still fun to read, especially since I was at the same time trying to write a mystery set in and around Ridgecrest.
88. Blessings by Anna Quindlen. I said I wasn't going to read any more Anna Quindlen books, but I found this at a rummage sale and decided to read it. I actually did like it very much, so even though I'm not going to read any more books by Anna Quindlen, I'll keep this one around.
89. The Valley of Bones by Anthony Powell. The seventh book in the 12-book series, this one finds our hero (anti-hero?) in the army, at the beginning of World War II. Things are a little less humorous and people are starting to die. I'm a little nervous about the next book, which is winging its way to me from the big library in Bakersfield.
90. The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri. This was one of my birthday books. I wasn't sure I'd like it, but it was actually very compulsive reading. Overall, kind of moody and sad, thought-provoking. Maybe in 10 or 20 years Lahiri will revisit these characters. I'd like to know what Gogol does next.

So, now it's December, or will be in half an hour, and I need to read 10 more books by December 31 to reach 100 for the year. Can she do it and also survive Christmas? Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment