Wednesday, September 1, 2010

End of August reading update

Well, we survived August (all of us except Whiskers) even though there were times I really didn't think we would. During all the awfulness I managed to read 8 books, 2 of them on CD, 5 of them mysteries. What can I say, it was that kind of month. Here is the list:

61. Chasing the Sea: Lost Among the Ghosts of Empire in Central Asia by Tom Bissell. I saw this book mentioned in a review of Bissell's latest book, which is about video games. I have no intention of reading the video game book, but I immediately put in a request for this one and soon the little library truck brought it to me from Bakersfield. Such an interesting book, all about the tragedy that is Uzbekistan and the Aral Sea. Bissell was a Peace Corps volunteer there for a few months, before he fell apart, quit, and went home. This book is about his trip back a few years later to write an article about the demise of the Aral Sea. He includes a bit too much history for my taste, especially since it's all unremittingly brutal and horrible. But most of the book is fascinating and Bissell himself is an interesting, though flawed, travel guide. My 10 days in the Soviet Union back in 1986 left me with a permanent need to know more about that train wreck of an empire.
62. The Ice Maiden by Edna Buchanan (audio book). Maybe this would have been good to read on paper, but read aloud on CD it didn't grab me, and I hated the ending. OK for nap drives, but not otherwise.
63. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson. Sorry, I know the rest of the world adored this, but I didn't. It was way too slow and ponderous for a mystery. I kept wondering if the translation was the problem. Or if Sweden has different standards for mystery writing. I was also very distressed to learn that Stieg Larsson did not leave a will when he died, so the millions of dollars that his estate is earning from these books are going to his father and brother who he did not get along with. That did it -- I'm not buying the other 2 books, though I may end up reading used copies somewhere down the line.
64. Personal Days by Ed Park. I loved this! And now I can't remember where I heard about it. The library found me a copy in Fresno to borrow. It's about working for a company in the modern era, the ridiculous things that happen, the layoffs. Post-modern, but accessible. I'll be watching to see what else Park writes.
65. A Great Deliverance by Elizabeth George. I finally read one of my birthday books -- the mystery of course. I've seen a lot of Elizabeth George mysteries dramatized on PBS but somehow this might be the first one I've read. I thought it was a bit over the top, but very well written and enjoyable. I will definitely read more of these.
66. At Lady Molly's by Anthony Powell. Book 4 in the 12-book series. I've kind of got the rhythm of the dance now, and each book leaves me ready for the next (the next one is actually waiting for me at the library right now, so that's good). The only problem is that I keep needing to refer to the earlier books. I probably should just buy the whole series.
67. T is for Trespass by Sue Grafton (audio book). I didn't think I would like this, because I didn't like "S" at all and "T" is an unusual mystery -- for one thing, you're introduced to the villain in the very first chapter. Also I don't like the woman who reads Sue Grafton's mysteries. But I kept with it and it got better and better. By the end I was making excuses to go driving just so I could listen to more of it.
68. Hard Truth by Nevada Barr. Not nearly as good as the other mystery I read by her, which was about Yosemite. This one was set in Rocky Mountain National Park, so that was a plus, but otherwise I thought it wasn't paced right -- the book needed more filler. There was too much awful stuff too close to the beginning. In a mystery, pacing is everything, and this one just didn't cut it. But I will read more by Barr, since I liked the Yosemite book.

And onward we go. Thirty-two more books to read by the end of December. I'll try. All I want to read right now are "comfort books" (similar to comfort food, but less fattening, assuming you don't munch on cookies while reading). But comfort books count too. I didn't say I was going to read 100 GOOD books. Some other year, when the twins are older.

No comments:

Post a Comment