Monday, November 19, 2012

Vegetable Week

I thought Vegetable Week would be a good segue into Thanksgiving, so that's what we focused on last week. Each day we talked about a different form of vegetable. Monday was roots, Tuesday was tubers, Wednesday was stems, flowers, and leaves, Thursday was seeds, and Friday was vegetable fruits. Each day I brought out some real live examples of the vegetable type of the day, and each night we ate whatever we'd looked at that morning.  Also each day I added some vegetables to the "garden" in the photo above (this was my art project this week).
Above you can see Tuesday's exhibit (two potatoes and a sweet potato), plus a game I think I invented called "Am I a Potato?" (I can't remember whether I got the idea from another site or not.) The green cards have pictures of various things: other vegetables, dinosaurs, and potatoes in all their forms. I held the cards up one at a time and asked "Am I a Potato?" and whoever gave the right answer first got the card. Boos found this mildly amusing.

Wednesday's activity was by far the weirdest. I decided that we would pretend to be vegetables. So I put some Stravinsky on the record player, put some green tulle over my head, and began dancing around. Boos of course wanted to do it too. They kept asking me what we were doing and I wouldn't answer. Finally I told them we were being vegetables, and they thought that was weird and stopped dancing. Still, it was fun.
On Thursday, seed day, we sorted a bag of mixed bean soup that I'd bought at the grocery store. Supposedly it contained 17 different kinds of beans, but I think we only came up with 12. After sorting them, we dumped most of them all together into a pot and made bean soup (which we had for dinner and boos would not eat).

The next day I was going to do something with veggie fruits but I was tired of the theme by then and did not feel creative. So we munched on some cherry tomatoes, but we made art with the leftover dried beans and some glue and construction paper. Boos enjoyed it so much that they kept doing it for the next day or so.
On Sunday we drove to Murray Family Farms, outside Bakersfield. The idea was to do their U-Pick thing, but it was expensive, and it had been raining so the fields were probably muddy, and everyone was in a bad mood, and we got there kind of late... so we decided to skip it, and just bought some produce from the store. Boos were happy to play in the corn pit.

No comments:

Post a Comment