Friday, August 5, 2011

Bribery

Potty training has been coming along very slowly, excuse me, potty LEARNING -- I'm certainly not training anybody. And it's August already. And I want them to be all learned/trained/whatever by the time it gets too cold to run around naked all the time (late November or thereabouts).

So this week I decided it was time to take steps. They're really really really good about going in their potties (or outside in the dirt) when they're naked. We just haven't been able to make the leap to underwear. I thought about saying: "Now we will wear underwear!" but they can take their underwear off by themselves and there's two of them and only one of me. I don't want to run around the house pulling up their underwear (though it sounds like good exercise).

No, something else was called for -- a reward system, AKA bribery. Wanting to keep it simple, I bought some candy. Wanting to keep said candy from being eaten by Mom while the twins were at daycare, I bought gummi bears (I'd eat them if I were starving, maybe, but not otherwise). On Tuesday I announced that if they would wear underwear until the timer rang, they could have a gummi bear.

Well! This was very successful... at first. As soon as they heard about the bribe, boos immediately demanded undies (Percy the green engine for Baby A, Bert & Ernie for Baby B). When the timer rang (after 15 minutes) they were thrilled to receive a single gummi bear.

But then it got more complicated. As soon as Baby B got his bear, he took off his undies. "No," I said, "Keep them on. I'm going to set the timer again." So he put them on. But after a bit he took them off again. Then the timer rang. I tried to give just Baby A a gummi bear, but Baby B threw a fit. Finally I agreed to give him a bear if he would put his undies on again. He did, and as soon as he got his bear, took them off again.

The second day, they were again happy to put on undies -- as long as it was the same ones they'd worn the day before. I DO NOT remember this being covered in any of the potty training books I read. What do you do when they'll only wear one particular pair? Wash them out every night?

Then they started demanding gummi bears BEFORE the game started -- in other words, one before I set the timer, and another after the timer rang. Then they started demanding TWO gummi bears at a time. I know I sound like a pushover, but I'm trying to be easygoing and undemanding (unlike them). Maybe easygoing-ness and bribery don't mix? I swear none of this was in the potty training books.

I had taken a few days off from tree watering because we got quite heavy rains last week, but on Thursday I started up again. And since I water three trees a day for 20 minutes each, I decided to use the same timer for the boos and their undies. I also decided that at the end of the hour of watering, we could also stop practicing with undies. So that made the morning a little easier. When I got them into their diapers and clothes to go to daycare, I said, "Pretty soon you'll be wearing underwear at daycare!" (There's only one other kid in their class still in diapers.) They said, "Nooooooooo!"

Thursday night after dinner, Rocket Boy went outside to work on the yard and Baby A wanted to help. I told him he had to wear undies. He agreed (same pair he'd been wearing all week), and happily raked along with Daddy.


This morning (Flex Friday), Rocket Boy went out to work on the yard again, and Baby A wanted to go out too, only this time he wanted to wear undies and shorts. Such a big boy! But a few minutes after he went outside, he was back, crying -- he'd wet himself. I quickly changed him and told him it was OK, no problem at all. He wore a diaper the rest of the morning (his request).

So, although we'll keep practicing, I think we've got a ways to go yet. Sorry, daycare ladies. Good thing I bought that big box of diapers last weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment