Thursday, August 26, 2010

Vacations

As we come to the end of summer, I have to say, we really bombed out on vacations this year. To put it mildly.

Now, as I write this, I am thinking about all the thousands, maybe millions, of people in this country who did not even get to PLAN a vacation this year, because they've lost their jobs, their houses have gone into foreclosure, etc. I should be grateful that I had the chance to PLAN my three vacations, even though they did not quite work out as planned.

Vacation 1: a week in Los Altos after 4th of July, visiting family. This was the best of the three, marred only by the virus that I developed right after we got there. I felt crummy most of the time we were there, but otherwise we had fun.

Vacation 2: the long weekend in Silver City (see earlier post), marred by various problems with our rental cabin and brought to an unceremonious end by Baby B's head injury.

Vacation 3: the long weekend at a luxury hotel in Mammoth Lakes with family. What long weekend was that, you may ask, not remembering reading about it. Sigh. That was last weekend. At first the boos and I were going to go, leaving Rocket Boy at home to recover from his pneumonia. But then he went into the hospital and that was the end of that idea. Instead, both Saturday and Sunday (after visiting Rocket Boy in the hospital each morning) I drove them to Mammoth Lakes for a couple of hours and then drove them back (in time to visit Rocket Boy again in the evening). It passed the time, quite a bit of time actually, since it is 3 hours there and 3 hours back. We ate lunch with family members and on Sunday rode a gondola up to the top of Mammoth Mountain. We never did see our hotel room (which my sister was unable to cancel the reservation for). Nancy didn't want me to see it, with its two cribs arranged so nicely.

Labor Day weekend is coming up soon, and it's a 4-day weekend for Rocket Boy because it includes a flex Friday. My sister and I agree that if anything is planned for that weekend, I will develop tuberculosis; Baby B, leprosy.

If I were superstitious (which I am), I would say that someone is trying to tell me something. Now if I could only figure out what.

No comments:

Post a Comment