Friday, October 2, 2009

October is the wonderfullest month

I just love October -- even in Ridgecrest! My Weight Watchers leader said that October is the best month in Ridgecrest, and I believe her. It is so wonderful to feel the crisp cool air after that long long long hot horrible summer. I'd say the only downside so far is that we've turned off the swamp cooler and immediately my skin dried out. I need to start using lotion again. I wash my hands about 50,000 times a day, due to changing diapers and doing dishes and whatnot, and my fingertips are starting to feel really scratchy.
If I were in Boulder I'd be sad, because Clifford's big oak tree would be turning color and he wouldn't be there to see it, and I wouldn't be able to carve him a jack-o-lantern as I've done for the past several years. At least I don't have to think of him being lonely in Boulder without us and without a pumpkin. He's moved on.

Today was Flex Friday, so Rocket Boy and I took the babies to daycare together and then went out to lunch, as is our wont. As we were driving, we had a huge argument about Rancho Cucamonga. One of RB's coworkers thinks I should move to Rancho Cucamonga and RB could live in Ridgecrest during the week and visit me and the boys on weekends. I said, "I don't want to live in Rancho Cucamonga!!! Why would anyone want to live in Rancho Cucamonga?!!!" I found myself attempting to defend Ridgecrest and failing just as utterly as letter writers to the Daily Independent do. "Rancho Cucamonga doesn't have mountains nearby!" (Actually I think it does.) "Rancho Cucamonga doesn't have nice places to walk!" (How do I know?) "Rancho Cucamonga is hot!" (What was my point?)

I actually know nothing about Rancho Cucamonga except that we went to a wedding there a few years ago, in August, and it was hot. But I don't want to live there.

I swear Ridgecrest is growing on me. Like a fungus.

After dinner tonight we took a walk, even though it was getting dark. The moon was ALMOST full. I sang moon songs: "Oh in the moonlight, I want to hold somebody's hand," and "I see the moon, the moon sees me, the moon sees the one I want to see." I also discovered that I can ALMOST recite "Goodnight Moon" by heart.

You probably couldn't even see the moon in Rancho Cucamonga, too smoggy or foggy or something. It probably isn't even October there.

No comments:

Post a Comment