Friday, August 7, 2009

Passion

Gosh, we had nice weather today. A high around 92 degrees, sunny, a gentle breeze, it was delightful. (Tomorrow it heads back up near 100.) Rocket Boy and I had lunch at the Espresso Cafe, after dropping the boys off at daycare. Just an all around pleasant day. It goes without saying that I wish we had more days like this in Ridgecrest.

On our way home after lunch we stopped at Ridgecrest's one bookstore. Red Rock Books is not a Barnes & Noble, it's not a Boulder Bookstore, it's not a Kepler's. But for Ridgecrest it's OK. Some new books, lots of used books, some gift stuff, space for browsing.

On this visit I was looking for a book by a local author, a category which Red Rock is very good about carrying. I've been attending the monthly meetings of the Ridge Writers, the local branch of the California Writers Club. During each meeting there is a chance for attendees to brag about their writing achievements. At this week's meeting I heard a young woman announce that a publisher was interested in a book she's writing. She mentioned that she had already self-published a fantasy/sci fi novel for young adults that was available at Red Rock Books. This impressed me so much that I wanted to see it for myself. So there I stood in Red Rock looking at the book -- quite a sizable volume, with a full color, illustrated cover. See http://www.twinfang.com/. I thumbed through it, a bit dubiously. Fantasy/sci fi is not my thing at all. But I was so impressed that the young woman in the meeting had written this book and self-published it, that I did indeed buy it. I don't know if I'll read it, but hey, maybe I'll find someone to give it to.

I've also been thinking, this week, about a cousin of mine who is an artist and a writer. See http://yeddamorrison.com/
Again, I am more impressed by her having written than by her actual writing, which I find hard to relate to. I am entranced by some of her artwork, though. I don't know anything about art but I find her "floral arrangements" just fascinating. Do other people do this sort of work? Is it a known category -- sculpture, watercolors, etchings, floral arrangements?

I'm getting interested in this whole self-publishing thing, where once I would have disdained it. It seems to me to be evidence of passion. If you love your work and want to share it, who cares if you can't penetrate the formal publishing world?

I am impressed, finally, by the evidence of passion in people's lives. It would be good, I suppose, if everyone's passion resulted in wonderful works of art, but that's a bit much to ask. There are good writers with no passion, and there are passionate writers with no talent. At one time in my life I preferred the former; now I seem to prefer the latter. It's not that I want to read a lot of bad writing. It's that as I get older, and duller, and all around me I see people retreating into their quiet little lives, I'm so amazed that some people don't do this.

It has crossed my mind that Ridgecrest is not the worst place for someone to follow his/her passion. Lots of empty space, lots of nothing to do, lots of time to fill. Not everyone has to spend that time watching television.

No comments:

Post a Comment